RSUniverse | Overcoming All Odds
Welcome to RSUniverse Forums!

Do take a moment to register yourself and do not use your Runescape Password!

King Regards,
Admin
Donation
Donations Values
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hows everyone doing
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 am by Account Set

» Service Manager
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyTue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm by World

» Sup!
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptySat May 24, 2014 3:20 am by Stumble

» Customer Service Manager
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyFri May 23, 2014 7:31 pm by Genesis

» Questing Manager Poll
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyFri May 23, 2014 7:05 pm by Genesis

» Noobs.
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 1:30 am by World

» Stumble Read
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:40 am by World

» 750th post!
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 pm by Host Dil

» Evil turnip seeds anyone?
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 9:01 pm by w3bster

[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please]

Go down

[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] Empty [Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please]

Post by Dried on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:06 pm

So, im turning 17 this year, and i wouldn't mind going to America for Uni. It would actually be pretty cool. But, the problem is, i have no idea how to apply.

I go to a school which follows the British Curriculum, so i do IGCSE examinations and A levels. However, after going to several career fairs, it seems like i need to do SAT's in order to apply to an American university.

I also recieved my IGCSE grades on the 22nd of August, and my results were:
7A*'s and 3A's (A* is the highest you can get). Also, i got 96% in Maths.

My questions are:
-How would i apply to a Uni as an International Student
-When can i apply
-What are the SAT's like, and when can i do them

-What is credit? i dont understand what credit is. It seems like i can convert a Maths A level and a Physics A level into credit, but i dont understand what credit is Razz

http://web.mit.edu/firstyear/2017/subjects/incomingcredit/a_levels.html
So what is 12 units of a subject? Can someone explain what that page entails?

I'm looking towards the slightly older ranks to answer this question. Hopefully, there is someone out there who also went from a British Curriculum and applied to an American uni.

If you can help me out, please do, this is some serious shit lol Wink

Last edited by Dried on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
RSN: Dried

[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] WBQyA6O

Ranked but on holiday
Dried
Dried
The CC Member
The CC Member

http://lmgtfy.com

Back to top Go down

[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] Empty Re: [Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please]

Post by Genesis on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:40 pm

It seems to means for math and physics, if you meet their requirement, you will be allowed to skip that course.

So in essence, Subject 18.01 is the course code for Math Calculus 1. And that course is worth 12 Units of subject.

To graduate, you will need to accumulate a certain amount of Credits let's say 100. And if you scored well for maths, you can skip that particular exempted course and gain the 12 units automatically.

For my Uni, its called Academic Units and I need 132 AU to graduate but each course is only 3 Units. :/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] Na8zcEc
Genesis
Genesis
The Owner
The Owner

http://www.genesis07.net

Back to top Go down

[Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please] Empty Re: [Serious] Applying to American Universities [Help Please]

Post by Account Set on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 pm

It depends on what you want to get into then you pick the college that has the studies for it
Account Set
Account Set
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Yamiteh on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Account Set wrote:It depends on what you want to get into then you pick the college that has the studies for it
Obviously lol. I think since he is 17 he would know this. He didn't ask that, he is wondering how/when can he apply for studies and some more details about it, since he is not American.

On topic: I don't know the systems American universities use so I can't help.
Yamiteh
Yamiteh
The Active Member
The Active Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dominate814 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 pm

being an international student you will find an easier time getting into American schools then if you currently lived in America. All colleges want to diversify the ethnicity on their campus and expand globally. That being said, schools like Harvard or MIT are the best schools in the world and are highly critical of who they accept.

The SAT is a standardized test that a majority of high school students will take. (I personally did not) It provides you a score with your aptitude in each of the core subjects on the test. Add those scores together and you will find your total score. In 4 year old talk, the sat tests you on your "smartness". If you plan on studying overseas taking either the act or sat would be very important as most prestigious universities require it.

Every single college website you go on will have a place to apply. The earlier you apply, the better. I would expect for a student that is out of the country the application process would be a bit more confusing. If you have problems applying contact the school. Those people sitting behind desks at the universities are paid to help people with questions, so dont be timid.
dominate814
dominate814
The Owner
The Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dried on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:43 am

allright, 7HB/genesis, ive been to singapore and ive visited the national university of singapore, they have a pretty good computer science departament. My question is do you know when i have to apply?

Spencer, which would be more beneficial to me if i was to apply? SATS or ACT? Cuz in qatar, there are plenty of places i can take them and it only costs 50$

Ranked but on holiday
Dried
Dried
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FR4 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:55 am

@dried: i think u can apply for NUS around January (not sure tho) or go to ITB.
FR4
FR4
The Newb
The Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dried on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:58 am

FR4 wrote:@dried: i think u can apply for NUS around January (not sure tho) or go to ITB.
Gw males ke ITB lol, nga mau tingal di indo, internet nya mampus

Ranked but on holiday
Dried
Dried
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FR4 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 am

yang penting ITB dekat, jalan kaki 5 menit. Memang mampus internet di Indo
FR4
FR4
The Newb
The Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dried on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 am

FR4 wrote:yang penting ITB dekat, jalan kaki 5 menit. Memang mampus internet di Indo
gw nga suka tingal di indo lol. Sudah terlalu Bule

Ranked but on holiday
Dried
Dried
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FR4 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:06 am

Bule tapi 7/8 indo lol. udah Singapore aja biar gampang gw ketemu lu.
FR4
FR4
The Newb
The Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Gforce on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:31 am

alien Sats is logic. Act is more common sense

Sat is liked more on eastern cost colleges. Act is like more on west coast. Either way, it's not really something you can study hard and get a perfect score on, but studying a lot can help you boost your sat score by like 400-500 points. I started studying in 8th grade, now I'm about to start 10th and my score has improved by 400 points already and I have learned about 6k more vocab words

In terms of the sat, it is a very long test, taking a few hours, split over 9 sections. Each section has a time limit and certain amount of questions. Writing, reading, grammar, vocab, and math are on it. Tbh, analyzing reading passages is the hardest IMO for anyone as the only way to study for it is to read books.  The passages are usually quite hard. There are "shortcut" ways of studying for the other parts

If you need help, feel free to pm me on here, irc, or rs (force roll).

Edit:you can take it at any time actually, they are offered once a month. An average person takes it twice,(once near the end of junior year, and once at beginning of senior year) unless they get a perfect score.

If you're looking here, then gtfo. Jk ily, stranger
Gforce
Gforce
The Active Member
The Active Member

http://www.rsuniverse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dried on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 am

Mind linking me to a few websites where i can find example SAT questions for someone my age? Ive done a google of them but im not too sure which one to go to lol Razz

Ranked but on holiday
Dried
Dried
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Gforce on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Dried wrote:Mind linking me to a few websites where i can find example SAT questions for someone my age? Ive done a google of them but im not too sure which one to go to lol Razz
http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-practice-questions

College board is the best imo

Gforce
Gforce
The Active Member
The Active Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dominate814 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:55 pm

I would reccommend taking both the sat and the act. You can take both as many times as you wont so dont stress out about a bad score on your first try. Make sure when you sign up, you are sending the score to potential colleges you are interested in. This will save you alot of trouble down the road.

If you were forced to only take 1 test, or you dont want to spend the extra money, take the sat. Its recognized as a more precise standardized test for quantifying aptitudes. STUDY FOR IT. As of now, the sat will be the most important test of your life. Take a few weeks and make sure you are prepared,

When looking for potential international colleges look at their specific programs. If you know what you want to go into, then do your research. Find the schools with the best programs for that specific major. While you shouldnt discard the prestige of Some schools, going to a bigger school because its "well known" might not be the best idea for a specific major. Smaller schools that will end up costing less might put you further down the road because their individual program might be better

DO YOUR RESEARCH
dominate814
dominate814
The Owner
The Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by X3S on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Do SAT Prep, theres SAT prep courses everywhere. They help alot.
X3S
X3S
The General Host
The General Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Account Set on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Yeah like dom said make sure you do some research and find a right college.
Account Set
Account Set
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Naxious on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 pm

This won't allpy to your answer mate but I live in NYC and in here they make your prepare in 6th grade for this, Im going to 8th grade and will take the SHSAT the specialized high school test and if I pass, then I will go to a good high school like stuyvesant which is rlly hard to get into then I will get mad scholarship which saves money and my career is set

"SUCK MY DILLIES"
Naxious
Naxious
The CC Member
The CC Member

http://naxious.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gforce on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Actually Dom, collages can see how many times you've taken the Sats so it's obv much better to do well in 1 try

Gforce
Gforce
The Active Member
The Active Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dried on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 am

Do american unis actually give a damn about any UK based examinations?

I got my IGCSE results yesterday.
I got 7A*'s and 3A's (A* is the highest you can get)

Ranked but on holiday
Dried
Dried
The CC Member
The CC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr alba on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:18 pm

good luck with university Aufar Very Happy all the best
Mr alba
Mr alba
The Explorer
The Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum